Thursday, November 24, 2005

My NAS is arrived: now what next ?

My NAS is finally arrived now I haven't decided which approach to follow next.
I am the happy owner of a MP101 and I always found that the key problem is actually not it's fault: the need to keep a PC on all the time. For this reason, after having read a lot of forums I have just bough a Linksys NSLU2 and a 250 Gbyte Hard Disk to use as a UpNP server with Twonkyvision. There are only two annoyance I can see:

- installing unslug (I have some experience in Linux but a long time ago)
- not being able to use FAT32 and thus just take my hard disk and laptop with me when travelling

The latest Linksys firmware (V23R63 not mounted in my unit) allows FAT32 access but I don't think that Unslug, that is based on an older version, is doing the same. The other insteresting thing is that if you look at the firmware update notes you can see that in a previous unreleased release they enabled UPnP AV than they took it out for some unknown reason. Maybe it was reliability or just because they have started selling a media server recently...

Anyway at this point in time my understanding is that if I want both UPnP and I need to do a lot manual work. Useful Technology but unuseful marketing approach...

If everything goes well I'm thinking of buying another MP101 and a video adapter (not decided yet but I like Kiss DP-600) for the living room. Any views ?

No comments: